AFRICAN POTATO (Hypoxis hemerocallidea)
It is used in Immunoboost, Inflammorub Cream, Prostate Tonic & Skeletone
Therapeutic uses summary:
Abdominal pain, allergies, arthritis, autoimmune disease, benign prostate hyperplasia, bladder infection (cystitis), diabetes mellitus, fever, hemorrhage, immune booster, lung disease, prostate problems, psoriasis, PMS, tuberculosis & yuppy flu.
- Indigenous to South Africa.
- Tuberous perennial with linear to broadly lance-shaped, slightly hairy leaves which are arranged one above the other to form 3 groups spreading outwards from the center of the plant.
- The underground tuberous rootstock or corn is hard, fleshy, mucilaginous and dark brown or black on the outside and yellow-orange inside when freshly cut.
- Sliced corns, when exposed to the atmosphere, turn black with oxidation.
- Bears bright yellow star-shaped flowers on long slender stalks.
- The fruit is a capsule that splits across its diameter to expose the small black seeds.
- Dies back in winter.
- Full sun.
Rich in sterols & sterolins. Anti-inflammatory
- Blood loss – It was widely used in southern Mozambique during the civil war by those who lost blood through injury. The tea from the plant was said to quickly replace lost blood.
- PMS & endometriosis – The Shangaan used it in a mixture of other plants for endometriosis & premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
- Purgative, Internal parasiticide – The rootstock was used as an “internal parasiticide” and purgative.
- Vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pains and fever – The Karanga used the rootstock as a remedy for above health problems.
- Delirium – It was traditionally used to treat delirium
- Diabetes mellitus,
- Prostate problems. Benign prostate hyperplasia.
- Urinary tract disorders including bladder infections (cystitis)
- Lung disease, tuberculose
- Immune booster – Autoimmune disease – “Yuppy flu – Researchers have found that the plant sterols and sterolins, which are found in high concentrations in the African potato increases the functioning of T-cells, which control and regulate the immune system, balancing over-or-under active immune system. This increases the body’s natural resistance to disease and helps fight illnesses. It is currently being used in South Africa in primary health care as an immune booster for patients with HIV/AIDS.
- Allergies – Reduction in allergy symptoms.
- Cancer – It has proven to be effective in fighting and slowing down the growth of certain kinds of cancer.
- It might also have a much higher nutritional value than vegetables.
Safety & Precautions: Do not use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. Consult a qualified health care provider/physician with any serious health problems.